ISSA Exhibitor Profile: Carlos Albir Jr. VP of Operations at ABCO Products
Carlos Albir Jr. , the Vice President of Operations at ABCO Products, is involved in the entire product cycle of their yarns. The company's product, Nater Yarn, is a line of green Sead certified wet and dry mops made from recycled garment and apparel waste. The mops are packaged using the brick pack system, reducing the packaging footprint. The product has unique sustainable elements and significantly reduces environmental impact by repurposing waste and using renewable energy. The Nater Yarn mops perform equal to or better than traditional mops.
- Introduce yourself, your role and your involvement with your product.
- Hi, my name is Carlos Al Beer. I'm with Apco products. I'm vice president of operations. Because of my position, I have direct involvement with the entire product cycle of the yarns. So, from manufacturing development all the way through marketing and sales.
- What is your product?
- Nater Yarn is the first and only line of green Sead certified, wet and dry mops certified for environmental innovation. We utilize renewable solar energy and a proprietary recycling system that allows us to convert garment and apparel industry waste into raw material. We then transform the raw material into yarn which is used to make a variety of wet mops and dry mops. The notion products are packaged using the brick pack system which allows us to reduce the packaging footprint by up to 75%. So we're able to load 75% more cases onto a pallet, reducing fuel consumption and optimizing freight loads.
- What makes your product innovative?
- The notorious yarn products receive green seal certification for environmental innovation. What we've been able to demonstrate is that we promote circularity within the garment and the apparel sector, which is one of the most well documented environmentally impactful manufacturing sectors. So we're able to take their garment and scrap waste, prevent it from going to landfills and incinerators. We're able to repurpose that scrap, convert it into durable everyday useful products.
- Does your innovative product entry have any unique sustainable elements?
- Yes, the Natura Yarn has a couple of unique sustainable elements. The first one is that it's the first and only line of green field certified, wet and dry mopping products. The second one is how we've developed a circular supply chain with the garment in the apparel industry where they typically produce garment and textile waste that's either ends up in landfills or incinerators. We step in the middle of that, capture that waste, repurpose it into our own raw material. Once we have that raw material, we spin yarn and then that yarn is used to make various NTO yarn products. Our entire manufacturing facility that makes the NTO yarn products uses renewable solar energy. Lastly, the NATO yarn mop heads utilize the brick pack system. So we're able to reduce the packaging footprint by about 75%. So we use less plastic film and cardboard.
- Quantify the environmental impact benefit of your product in the marketplace.
- the Naor Ya and manufacturing process leads to a significant impact reduction on the environment. By capturing garment and apparel industry waste and repurposing it into raw material that's used in the NATO yarn products. We're able to eliminate the greenhouse gas impacts that are associated with extracting virgin material for synthetic textile production. We're also able to eliminate the use of additional agrochemicals, water consumption and disruption to habitat that's associated with growing and harvesting additional cotton. We're also establishing a circular supply chain by increasing the value of post industrial waste apparel scrap during the manufacturing process. The entire facility that manufactures the NTU uses renewable solar energy, so we're significantly reducing our greenhouse gas emissions.
- Product Wrap Up...
- The Natu Yarn mopping products are a unique innovation. They're green Sead certified and they're also manufactured in a sustainable way. Our proprietary processing equipment ensures that the NATO yarn mopping products perform equal to or better than traditional mopping products.